Friday, October 1, 2010

upward to madness

There's no where to put my drink on any of these jagged edges.  With one hand I'm supposed to be efficient?  I can let it fall and hope you replace it.  That's the same as asking me to trust you.  Trust you who has never gone without, never had to wonder about trivial details.  How strange my caution must look to you, from your insulated world of privilege.  How powerful you must feel to be able reach out and take whatever you want, without consequence.  How divine it must seem to not need to know.  How crazy I must look to not trust you like they do.  How angry you get without that control.  A little more than fair, how would you know unless I told you?  Until then it didn't matter.  It can't be the case, by example you learn, it was not my doing. It was someone else, is what you said. "Just be yourself!"; Then tell me I'm like everyone else.  I don't like them, I don't know them. It's a practical way of minding my own business.  You decide for me like a sentimental toy from your childhood.  Tossed upon a shelf until you want to play.

It's not what you think it's what you believe.  Patricia '96

No comments: